The humble, crunchy Cucumber is a wonderful vegetable to beat the scorching summer heat. Cucumber is one of the oldest cultivated crops, believed to have been originated in the Indian subcontinent. The plant is basically a creeper and belongs to the Cucurbitaceous family, its scientific name being Cucumis sativus. This vegetable is considered as a super food for its effects on the overall health.
This common crunchy superfood is amazing for your skin:
- Cucumber revitalizes and tones the skin, which aids in pore tightening and overall glow even after one use!
- It has a mild bleaching property which can reverse skin discolorations.
- It really does help to reduce puffiness and dark circles around the delicate eye area. The ascorbic acid and caffeic acid in cucumber brings down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the swelling and puffiness around the yes.The abundance of antioxidants and silica within the cucumber can rejuvenate the skin and fade dark circles.
- Cucumber contains 95% of water which keeps the skin hydrated and well moisturised. Its seeds are rich in Vitamin E and potassium which help in reducing fine lines, wrinkles, blemishes and other signs of ageing.
So, without further ado. How do you improve your skin in 20 minutes? Here is how:
- Finely shred 1 cup of cucumber (do not peel it!)
- Chill it in the fridge for even more cooling effect (this will help with eczema, acne flare ups or any other skin inflammation you may be going through)
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon
This will be messy, since it isn't a homogenous mask. It will be more like a chunky face pack. Slab it on for 20 minutes, lay back and don't forget to cut out a couple of slices for your eyes. Bon appetit for your face!